THE place for connecting to your evbc|mesa community.

Thursday, October 18, 2007

10/18 - Tasting the Community Yet?

Hey, everyone...I hope you're having a terrific week, and that you have the wind of the Spirit in your sails!

Some information, and then a few thoughts:

Taste of Community.

By now, I hope most all of you have found your way into a Taste of Community group. Over the next four weeks, you’ll have the opportunity to gather with others in your neighborhood, share some food together, and hear and some great teaching through video. Our prayer is that this taste will lead to an ongoing appetite for fellowship through Area Ministry.

If for some reason you signed up for Taste of Community, but we have failed to get you plugged in, please contact me right away (billhartley@evbc.org). We have several groups that are starting a week late (the week of Oct. 21), so it’s not too late to get involved!

Pioneer Park Mesa Gathering on Saturday, November 3rd

Come join us in downtown Mesa for our next Community Gathering! We’ll take some time to enjoy the picnic atmosphere, with plenty of hot dogs and hamburgers on the grill, some family games and a bounce house. Then, we’ll gather to spend some time together in the Word, in worship, and in the celebration of baptism*!

Now, we know that Mesa is LARGE … and that people who live in the eastern part of Mesa might not find Pioneer Park to be very, well, convenient. Please try to come! We’ll do our best to have our next Area Gathering a bit further east. But this time, we wanted to honor our westerners with a get-together in their neck o’ the woods.

The event will be held in Ramada #1, and will go from 11:30 – 3:30p. Here’s what to bring:
A-G – chips, dips or crackers
H-L – side fixings for burger and hot dogs
M-R – side salad or favorite side dish
S-Z – dessert
If you have questions, you can call Kim Pickard at 480.358.9434.

Groups for Men and Women

Mesa features a number of groups for men and women. One of the newest is a prayer group for moms that meets at the home of Tiffanie Russell (Lindsay & Adobe) on occasional Monday mornings. Childcare is provided, so many of you should be able to consider this opportunity. For more information, see the Mesa web page, and/or call Tiffanie at 480.354.5832.

Men, we continue to meet in four locations during the week:

  • Monday: Power & Baseline – Starbucks, 6:30a, Dave Finney leading
  • Tuesday: Val Vista & Baseline – Paradise Café, 6:30a, Kevin Rymer leading
  • Wednesday, Val Vista & Baseline – Paradise Café, 5:15p, Chuck Bishop leading
  • Thursday, Dobson & US60 – Good Egg, 6:30a, Bill Hartley leading

Drop in sometime – the fellowship (and food!) is always great!

Some thoughts...

I read 1 John5 in the paraphrase called The Message, where it says: "My purpose in writing is simply this: that you who believe in God's Son will know beyond a shadow of a doubt that you have eternal life, the reality and not the illusion. And how bold and free we then become in the his presence, freely asking according to his will, sure that he's listening. And if we're confident that he's listening, we know that what we've asked for is as good as ours."

I wrote the little word "WOW" in the margin.

Wow! This sounds so firm, so solid...so appealing! I found myself asking a series of questions of myself:

Do I know beyond a shadow of a doubt? Though I rarely doubt my salvation, there are days when I carry a few question marks around with me. Is God truly pleased with me today? Is God really going to answer my prayers? Am I really experiencing the full reality of new life in Jesus? Though I'm not much of a doubter, there are the occasional doubt-shadows that dim the brightness of the light of Christ in my heart.

Am I bold and free in the presence of God? There is no reason not to be! I remember Paul telling Timothy that God didn't give us a spirit of timidity (1 tim. 1:7). Why do I sometimes become timid in my spiritual life? In my prayers? In my outreach?

Do am I confident that what I ask is as good as mine? First of all, do I ask? Does my prayer life exemplify a man who is firm in his faith and bold in his intercession? Or do I let the shadows creep in, let my chin drop, and allow my prayer to become perfunctory?

I didn't mean this to be a personal confessional! Rather, I think I'm writing on behalf of many who would like to see their inner man wax strong, as the exhortation of John describes. My prayer today for all of you is that you will experience boldness, freedom and confidence in the grace of God ... and that what God stirs up in you will result in powerful ministry in the many neighborhoods of our city.

Let it be so. God's best top you all,

Bill

Bill Hartley

Mesa Area Pastor

BillHartley@evbc.org

480.388.2635


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home